Welcome

WELCOME TO MY BLOG CELEBRATE FAITH. SHARING MY FAITH AND PRACTICE. REGULAR UPDATES EVERY WEEK

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Saint Peter: Pillar of Faith and Action

Statue of St Peter at the Piazza San Pietro, Vatican
The Month of June is liturgically rich one. On the 29th of June, the Catholic Church celebrates the solemnities of two important saints of the Church - St Peter and St Paul. According to St John Henry Newman their shared feast reflects the importance of organic development. Both the saints founded the churches and built the emerging communities of disciples incorporating the creative tension between tradition and creativity, dogma and praxis. In this blog post, I would like to concentrate on St Peter and in the next one on St Paul and do a bit of comparison. As Luke's Acts of the Apostles suggests both Peter and Paul are the central figures in the expansion of the church from Jerusalem into the Mediterranean world in spite of their flawed characters.

Jesus chose Simon Peter specifically to lead his Church, and at first glance this would seem an odd choice. Even though he may not appear to be our first choice but for Jesus he was his beloved, worthy and right choice. Jesus works out a strategy through Peter to continue the mission right up to our times through his successors. Being ever impulsive, ever withdrawing from his initial commitment, Peter could be compared to a candle in the wind. However, inflaming with the Spirit, Jesus, before and after his resurrection, makes Peter fisher of men. 

1. Peter, one of the first disciples of Jesus is a man of faith.  We know his faith because of various incidences the gospel enumerates and his child like faith which is often being tested even to the point of denied! "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven (Mt 18:13). Through his brother Andrew who was a disciple of St. John the Baptist, Peter comes to know about Jesus. Peter is a listening man. Andrew then went to his brother Simon, saying, "We have found the Messiah" (Jn 1:41), and then brought Simon to Jesus.

2. Peter is a man of excitement. Matthew additionally describes Peter walking on water for a moment but beginning to sink when his faith wavers (Matthew 14:28-31). Peter initially refused to let Jesus wash his feet, but when Jesus threatened him with: "If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me", Peter replied: "Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head" (John 13:2-11).

3. Peter is also a seeker.  He always wants to know more and for him, the answers Jesus gives need to be pondered. The very bold words that he utters “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:16), shows his intuitive spirit. While his other disciples still must be waiting for right words to come out of their mouths. Peter knows to put the right words to his thoughts. Jesus himself gets excited with Peter's answer in spite of his disciple's fickle character.

4. Peter lives with the stir of the moment. He is very emotional too. The three Synoptic Gospels all mention that, when Jesus was arrested, one of his companions cut off the ear of a servant of the High Priest of Israel (Matthew 26:51, Mark 14:47, Luke 22:50). The Gospel of John also includes this event and names Peter as the swordsman and Malchus as the victim (John 18:10). Luke adds that Jesus touched the ear and miraculously healed it (Luke 22:49-51).

5. Peter the leader: Acts of the apostles speak about his apostolic journeys. Peter presides over the first council of the apostles in Jerusalem to fix some confusion the early church was facing (Acts 15). The Gospels and Acts portray Peter as the most prominent apostle, though he denied Jesus three times during the events of the crucifixion. According to the Christian tradition, Peter was the first to whom Jesus appeared, balancing Peter's denial and restoring his position. Peter is regarded as the first leader of the early Church.

6. Peter often confesses his faith in Jesus as the Messiah. Peter is often depicted in the gospels as spokesman of all the Apostles. John Vidmar, a Catholic scholar, writes: "Catholic scholars agree that Peter had an authority that superseded that of the other apostles. Peter is their spokesman at several events, he conducts the election of Matthias, his opinion in the debate over converting Gentiles was crucial, etc. In the final chapter of the Gospel of John, Peter, in one of the resurrection appearances of Jesus, three times affirmed his love for Jesus, balancing his threefold denial, and Jesus reconfirmed Peter's position (John 21: 15-17).

7. Peter is the bridge builder: The New Testament scholar, James D. G. Dunn proposes that Peter was a "bridge-man" between the opposing views of Paul and James the Just. In a dialogue between Jesus and his disciples (Matthew 16:13–19), Jesus asks, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" The disciples give various answers. When he asks, "Who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answers, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." Jesus then declares: “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Cephas (Peter) (Petros), and on this rock (petra) I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Jesus immediately changes the name of Peter – the “rock” – and is told he will be the leader of the Church on earth, with authority and power handed by him down through the ages.

8. Peter is also the exemplar of "little faith". In Matthew Chapter 14, Peter will soon have Jesus say to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?", and he will eventually deny Jesus three times. Thus, in light of the Easter event, Peter became an exemplar of the forgiven sinner. In spite of his little faith, Peter was made greatest among the band of disciples of Jesus. Little things matter a lot. Indeed, small things are beautiful!

Peter being our elder in faith, certainly we might exhibit his qualities and nature to a certain extent. Undoubtedly, the mission given to Peter continues to take definite shape through our lives and personal mission. Only when we reach out to those who need us, we become part of that bedrock on which the Church is built.

- Olvin Veigas, SJ

27th June 2020

8 comments:

anneyop said...

Dear Fr.Olvin, All your reflections are very interesting and inspiring which gives lot of insights for me to look into the realities of my life and of society, so to make a difference in my life . Thanks a lot .Best wishes and prayers

Unknown said...

Wow! What a rich message it is! As I kept reading, every word surprised me with a deeper understanding. The style of your language has magical power, the words you used in the article are very powerful and inspiring. To be frank, I had the experience as that of the disciples of Emmaus.Luke;24:32. I feel excited to hear about my favourite disciple of Jesus,St. Peter who stood by Jesus in his words and actions. He is the man of great boldness and veracity. Though for others he seems to be like a candle in the wind,but he is certainly a man,who is like a house built on a rock. That's why may be Jesus made him a 'Rock' of the Church on whose foundation we stand erect for all ages. Your message enriched me alot and got me an excellent inspiration that I would like to share with you all but I think it may not leave space for others genuine comments. So, I remain here waiting to share it in the course of time. Thank you Father for your thought provoking ideas. Very touching, amusing,meaningful and joyous. Your time spent on this article will definitely bear fruits. Wish you all the success for all your future undertakings.

lijiserin@gmail.com said...

Your reflection are phenomenal.Thank for your generosity , hoping for the next. Keep on rocking.

Unknown said...

Good morning dear Father and wish you the happy feast of St Peter and Paul, the great pillars of the Church. To make a difference in someone's life, you just need to care for them. Thanks to the author for his great care by gifting this outstanding article for those who thirst to grow in the Lord. Your article is full of life about the life of St.Peter. It's true that St.Peter perhaps a more striking example of all simple facts of holiness. Today, Jesus says to us in effect to Peter,. " It is not you who have chosen me but I have chosen you. Peter it is not human wisdom that makes it possible for you to believe but my father's revelation. 'I' not 'you',build my church. As I reflect deep into your reflections, I do pray with you that we may be sustained by the intercession of these great Saints. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Very enriching and inspiring, reflections on St. Peter and it brings me somewhat closer to my perceptions of myself: impulsive, sometimes overexcited, a bridge -builder and a woman of little faith. Anyhow I like St. Peter, and I really appreciate Your creative mind, original style and capacity for exuberant thinking and skilful writing. God has blessed you with tremendous power of knowledge. May He be Blessed. When is Paul coming?

Anonymous said...

Thank you father for this great work! I liked the aspect of Peter as the exemplar of little faith.
Peter had enough faith to get out of the boat and come to Jesus in water. But once he started having doubts he bagan to sink. He also responded emotionally to situations in his life. Despite of his little faith, doubts, failures and shortcomings, Jesus saw the best in him and made him the rock of his church.
My faith is always not strong enough to walk on the water of problems of my life. But I believe God will use my life for greatness just as he did with Peter. My failures, pasts, doubts will not make me unworthy of God's love.
Thank you father for sharing your valuable thoughts and appreciate your dedication to this great mission of writing. I am being inspired.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Rev. Father Olvin wonderful reflections which gives me many insights to grow strong in my life. Thanks a lot

Unknown said...

Your message is exceptionally good. It derives me courage and strength and empowers my Spiritual life. When I lack in anything, I could hear your guiding voice," Shake off your fear." Thank you for assuring me of your continuous guidence through your coming articles.