Welcome

WELCOME TO MY BLOG CELEBRATE FAITH. SHARING MY FAITH AND PRACTICE. REGULAR UPDATES EVERY WEEK

Sunday, October 31, 2021

Preciousness of the Gift of Life - Recounting the Blessings

(Picture courtesy: Jean-Marc Arakelian)

Time is flying but life moves on. It’s three years since I went through the knife which ushered a new lease of life for me. My second life, indeed, after going through horrific ordeal looking out for better treatment from one doctor another, from one treatment to another, from one city to another, from one country to another, from one method to another, I am still kicking. Perhaps it has made me stronger both mentally, physically and spiritually. However, may not be a complete man physically!

1. Accepting quick changes in life with an open embrace of mystery

Often I look at life as a mystery.  In the words of Gabriel Marcel (1889-1973), a French Philosopher: “Life is not a problem to be solved but a mystery to be lived.”  In other words, a problem may be solved but not a mystery. In spite of a major surgery which, took place exactly three years ago (31st October 2018), my life has been full of action. Living with a particular medical condition is not easy but looking at what I went through with a destructive illness in my body I seem to forget about everything as if I had no such illness at all. In spirituality, this is called grace. Grace is a free gift of the benevolent God. I believe that today I am tasting such a graced life. 

I have experienced very few dull moments since the operation allowed me to live only on my smaller intestine. Often they happened due to the blockage of my ilium because I ate something that was not proper to my clinical condition. Recently I counted that in three months I taught three distinct subjects in different educational setups measuring up to 80 hours of classroom teaching. Moreover, I also edited a 300 pages length book during that time. Meanwhile, I published every week almost 1000 words write up. I also did many other things as well which are connected with my life as a Jesuit and Catholic priest.

One of the beautiful things about life, when one takes positively and as life comes by is that you begin to look at the gifts God the creator has given to you. There are many things I may not be able to do like playing basketball (I played for my university college KCD, Dharwad during my first degree) or swimming or even mere running. However, nothing seems to have disappointed me. I see it as though everything has happened to my good. For me,   now every year is a bonus now. Every birthday is an achievement. 

2. To see life with awe and reverence

In this context, I see today, life is a precious gift. You can make it beautiful if you are ready to embrace it with reverence and awe. Karl Rahner, the German theologian once said: “When man is with God in awe and love, then he is praying.” Prayer is not that you do with something that is outside of you instead you do with what is inside of you, especially knowing fully well who you are. In fact, we must take care of our life with all its seriousness. 

If one is ready to take one's life with an open embrace then you truly understood that each day is a gift. In our rat race of life, we forget to appreciate the life that is fragile, vulnerable, short, weak, limited, temporary and imperfect. Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900), a German philosopher would say that we are all unfinished realities on this earth. Therefore the very precarious situation of dying, diagnosis with chronic illness is simply a reason to be frightened of our own very limitedness.  And since we don’t know how much time we have, we must learn to use what we have wisely. We must learn to appreciate everything we have in life. 

3. Life is a precious gift

Life is indeed an amazing gift to those who realise it’s preciousness. Our life has meaning when we realise that it’s a gift, indeed an incredible gift. Life is a trajectory of both good and bad, life and death, joy and sorrow, war and peace. In this dialectical dilemma of our existential life, we are on a journey that is often complicated and less travelled. Life can be interesting and purposeful when we make it something fascinating. Lori Villamil says, "people who are on the journey are a lot more interesting than people who, having found answers, are in dry dock." 

Perhaps, we are thrown open to the near-death realities including those who understand us or merely who act like strangers in our life. The impeccable routine of our lifestyle often is in fear of accepting life as a graced moment. We cannot afford to live our precious life with the neuralgic conditions of our own making.  Hence, we must learn to appreciate everything we have in life. Each stage of our life is important which in fact, prepares us for another stage of life. 

4. Life is momentous but refreshing

The Kannada Jain poets of yesteryears imagined in their literary compositions about life as nothingness in its absurdity of momentous living. They likened life as that of a drop of water that falls on a leaf and vanishes away in a second or a rainbow, beautiful yet very short, or lightening, flashing tremendous light but just for a moment. Everything is momentary and time-bound here on earth. The Christian scriptures point to us about life in Psalm 90:12 “Teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” Only a serene wisdom might rescue us from the fear of that moment of death, decay and destruction. 

Life is short; life is brief; and things can change in a split second. In this life of momentousness, each one is invited to contribute his or her mite for the betterment of humanity. In fact, we are pushed to a situation where time is precious, therefore use it wisely. If you take your life seriously then you truly understand each day is a gift. Sometimes because our life is so busy we forget how life is so fragile. Death, dying, pandemics, illnesses remind us not to take our lives for granted but to live each moment of life to its fullest. Sometimes, things may not move the way we want and life seems stuck somewhere without making any progress. Each moment that passes by is precious and each day is irreplaceable. That is what life has taught me with that life-saving operation that happened three years ago. 

- Olvin Veigas, SJ 

31 October 2021

22 comments:

Unknown said...

I thank the Lord for your life. It's indeed a great blessing to the humanity. Remain blessed

Unknown said...

It is indeed true that life is short and everyday it offers new learning. Thank you Father for giving the beauty life admist storm of life because Jesus holds the key of life.

ದಯಾನಂದ್ ಸೋನ್ಸ್ said...

Wonderfully written Fr. !

Joilin said...

Olvin, how great inspiration you are and how powerful your testimony is! Thanks a million for sharing the story of your journey living life with this destructive illness, turning the impossible into I'm possible. Your attitude towards Life is so so positive and that you could able to withstand all the storms of life and Oceanic difficulties that life offers you. The unshakeable positive attitude that I admire most in you is this; the life gives you hundred reasons to cry and you reply them with thousand reasons to smile. What a wonderful person you are! Every word here that are from the depth of your heart is awesome. Your reflections on the whole in your blog are the daily dose of our motivation. You are doing a great job. Great content! "Never ever give up" is your powerful message to all from this reflections. You are indeed a blessing to us. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

First let me congratulate for your second chance, to lead a beautiful, meaningful and enjoyable life. That too as a priestly, very sacrificing and holy. Almighty God himself is your big intestine. All the pain which you suffered then, is now you have great strength and more power. All the best. God bless you and keep you strong.

Unknown said...

Thank you dear fr olvyn for this great inspiring write up which inspires me and challenges me to live life to the fullest with deep sense of joy and gratitude . You have always been a inspiration and encouragement for me . Thank you so much for your faithfilled true life lived for the greater glory of God. Pray for me and bless me fr.

Anonymous said...

Dear Fr. Olvin. Such a touching sharing. I appreciate your sincere and enriching insights no matter what how hard you have gone through. With the eye of faith and the integrated interior life, you introduce the beautiful gift of God through your own momentous but refreshing experience in life. May God and all saints continue to accompany you and bless your health and fruitful work. In prayers

Anonymous said...

When suffering is more abundant blessing and Grace's will be poured from heaven

Anonymous said...

Of course, your life is a graced life. Your life has inspired me and challenged me to look at my life from a positive perspective. It is amazing the way you do God's mission in spite of your health condition. Whenever you say you are travelling to give retreats, I wonder how you manage it. But then I know you are a miracle. You will do anything for God and God's people. Thank you for continuing to inspire and support me always. Praying for you and for your good health always.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you Fr.Olvin, and that you are taking everything positive by and may God continously grant you good health.

Anonymous said...

Firstly I'm really grateful to God for having encountered a Wise, Positive, Spiritual and Holy Priest of God. Hearing your testimony back in February, time and again I wonder and ponder how in spite of health problems it didn't deter you from living a life with purpose or I can say living in grace.
I'm deeply touched by this piece of learning of yours. In fact this greatly tells how you live each moment with gratitude and yes, knowing life is precious, priceless and irreplaceable. As you write from experience, it really impacts a lot. I agree that it depends individually how we take life- either make it beautiful or miserable.
Thank you so much Fr. Olvin for sharing God's Miracle. I'm sure many more will be inspired and raise their hearts to God.

Anonymous said...

Your article on gift of Life was really interesting.

molly said...

Fr. Olvin, You are born to be a miracle. How great and powerful is your testimony. It touched the core of our hearts. Praying for your good health.

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts are enriching my life too and helping me to reflect my life. Congratulations for your hard work.

Anonymous said...

Fr, I am amazed at life experience. Keep well. May God continue to bless you abundantly with good health to do your ministry actively

Anonymous said...

Life is very precious. It is a gift. But sometimes we forget about it. I thank God for you on this day and everyday since last one year. He had many precious plans for you. He makes you as his instrument to use you for better way. May be if you had no sickness you may not been as useful as now. I am very Happy you are an inspiration for young and old alike. Thank you dear father for making your life available for others. Wishing you good and happy life ahead. God bless you

Anonymous said...

We thank God for you enlightening us through your writings, may God shower down His mighty blessings of Grace's upon you to shine out for the Lord Amen

Anonymous said...

Many thanks. You are a blessing and inspiration to so many.

Ramya Sri said...

This is Ramya from Hindu family. I was introduced to this blog by Joilin my friend. I have been following your blog almost every week. But this reflections really made a difference in my life. I got tears as I read your testimony and remained speechless to get to know about how much hardships and difficulties you endure every second to give hope to others. Thank you for guiding me indirectly through my friend Joy... What I received I'll try to give my friends... Thank you

lijiserin@gmail.com said...

Fr. Olvin
Your are really a spiritual man. Only one who is God centred can accept His plan all circumstances. Keep growing and motivate many souls

Haripriya said...

Father good afternoon, I'm Haripriya from class X. I'm very much taken up by your sharing here. You are the real role model for me to live life to the fullest, inspite of the challenges that life offers. Recently I have undergone a major surgery. It's for me a second life like. At this juncture of my pain and misery, I experienced a sort of real healing touch and abounding joy in the person of Miss. Joilin, my English teacher. She stands as the ray of hope when I'm down and lost. She's the one introduced me to your blog few months ago, from then I keep following your blog... Your reflections are best friends for me to comfort and support me spiritually. I admire your Godliness. Thank you Fr. Olvin.

Anonymous said...

Dear fr. Olvin,
You are a man of faith with great spirituality. Only one who is with God can accept everything with a cheerful heart. Thank you for enriching us with your life. Keep growing and motivate many souls
Thank you